Fri | Aug 18, 2017

Contractor General summonses three gov't ministers over debushing programme

Published:Tuesday | January 24, 2017 | 1:02 PM
Dirk Harrison ... more persons will be called in to answer questions regarding the programme.

Contractor General Dirk Harrison has summoned three government ministers to answer questions regarding the government's controversial debushing programme.

They are: technology and energy minister Dr Andrew Wheatley; Labour Minister Shahine Robinson, and National Security Minister Robert Montague.

Speaking with The Gleaner following a Private Sector Organisation of Jamaica Breakfast Forum this morning , the contractor general said more persons will be called in to answer questions regarding the programme.

He also said a report will be tabled in parliament soon.

 

Contractor General Dirk Harrison speaking with Gleaner reporter Jodi-ann Gilpin

The debushing programme was launched 10 days before the November 2016 local government elections.

The opposition has maintained that it favoured constituents of government MPs.

Last week, it was revealed during a parliamentary committee meeting that the budget for the re-scoped programme could jump by approximately 32 per cent from $606 million to $800 million.