Wed | Aug 4, 2021

Restaurant owners optimistic about extension of the nightly curfew hours

Published:Thursday | June 24, 2021 | 12:12 AMShantay East/Gleaner Writer
Co-owner of PeppaThyme, Shelley Sterling.

Restaurateurs are optimistic about the impending extension of nightly curfew hours.

Prime Minister Andrew Holness announced in Parliament yesterday that effective July 1, the curfew from Monday to Saturday would be 11 p.m and 6 p.m for Sunday. The new measure was one of a number of guidelines and restrictions shared by Holness, who also announced the reopening of the entertainment industry.

Shelly Sterling, co-owner of PeppaThyme Restaurant and Bar, said she expects that the new curfew hours will result in increased dining customers.

“We’re not a four-wall restaurant and can [hold] up to 300 hundred people, and people can socially distance within their group,” said Sterling of the establishment that prides itself on spacious outdoor dining.

She said the establishment continues to promote its delivery and take-out services and is exercising caution when hosting activities as their priority is to ensure the safety of their customers. She is reminding the public to abide by government protocols.

Nicholas Graham, CEO of White Sand Beach Seafood Restaurant, said he noticed a slight drop-off in sales when the pandemic first hit Jamaica in March last year. However, seven months into the pandemic, his popular chill spot was booming. One of his most busy days as of late is Sunday. He hopes to celebrate the extension of the curfew with an all-white party.

lifestyle@gleanerjm.com