Important SOE guidelines
In a bid to reduce the possibility for misunderstanding between the security forces, who are enforcing the state of public emergency (SOE) in Westmoreland, Hanover, and St James, ground rules have been released to provide guidance to the public. Below are some of the important guidelines.
1. All persons detained are expected to be processed within 24 hours, and those persons in whom the police have no further interest will be released. Persons seeking information on detained relatives are asked to call 876-836-4922 (Westmoreland), 876-837-9940 (Hanover), and 876-836-4303 (St James).
2. Persons are asked to travel with a valid form of identification at all times.
3. When approaching vehicular checkpoints, motorists should slow down and roll down all windows.
4. If it is night-time, motorists should turn on roof lights upon approaching a checkpoint.
5. Motorists have a duty in law to stop when requested to do so by a member of the security forces.
6. Business operators are asked to note the following permitted operating hours:
- Clubs and fast-food restaurants – 6 a.m. until midnight.
- Every place required by law to operate under a tavern licence – 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.
- Gas stations – 6 a.m. until 11 p.m.
- Supermarkets, grocery shops, haberdasheries, cook-shops, and any other place offering goods for sale – 6 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- Pharmacies – 6 a.m. until 10 p.m.
- Any other public place – except a tourism enterprise or a tourism accommodation – 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.