West Kingston Enquiry: Witter testifies about restricted movement during 2010 operation
Former Public Defender Earl Witter today maintained that the movement of West Kingston residents was unnecessarily restricted for more than 72 hours after the security forces entered the area to nab gangster, Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke in 2010.
On May 27, 2010, Witter wrote to the heads of the security forces complaining about what he said was the severe restriction of the movement of residents after the army and police had taken charge of West Kingston.
This morning, Witter read a section of that letter while giving testimony before the West Kingston Commission of enquiry.
In the letter he told the heads of the security forces that the restriction on movement was unacceptable.
However, attorney for the Jamaica Defence Force, Peter Champagnie introduced a video recording from May 26, 2010, in which Bishop Herro Blair, of the Peace Management Initiative, said he had been assured by the security forces that residents could move freely once they were cleared by the police.
However, Witter said he was not aware of any such assurance given by the heads of the army and the police in his presence.
Earlier, Witter testified that the restrictions were not eased until he wrote his letter on May 27.