FIFTY SWEET TREATS
Every week we will feature two of the many sweet temptations that are indigenously Jamaican. This will form part of The Gleaner's comprehensive coverage of Jamaica's 50th anniversary of Independence. Do you have a favourite Jamaican sweet delight?
Share it with Food readers at: email@example.com.
This week we look at coconut drops and gizzada.
1 medium dried coconut (it must be a dried coconut )
5 tbs minced or shredded ginger
3 cups dark unprocessed sugar
1 cup water
Shop now for Jamaican recipe ingredients and seasoning in our online store.
1.Use a sharp point to puncture the three eyes of the coconut and drain the water.
2. Break the coconut using a hammer and remove the hard outer shell.
3. Using a small knife, dice the coconut flesh into 1/2x1/4-inch cubes.
4. Combine the diced coconut cubes and ginger.
5. Place in a deep pot with the sugar and water.
6. Put stove on high and boil.
7. Boil until water is gone and the sugar is like caramel and sticky.
8. Place a sheet of greased paper (you can also use moistened aluminium foil) on a flat surface (kitchen counter) close by. (In Jamaica , some use banana leaves instead of greased paper).
9. Stir the mixture in the pot with a large spoon to be sure it does not stick to the bottom.
10. Use the spoon to scoop out the mixture to create 11/4-inch wide mounds on the greased paper.
11. Each 11/4-inch wide mound should be placed in a separate heap on the greased paper.
12. Let the drops cool and harden. Serve.
Total Preparation Time: 15 to 30 minutes
Actual Cooking Time: 15 to 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
Meal Type: Dessert
Ingredients for Pastry
1 cup flour
Ingredients for Filling:
1 cup grated coconut, fresh or packaged
1/2 cup brown sugar
1tsp almond extract
1/2tsp lime juice
Procedure for pastry:
Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix to form dough.
Roll out dough on floured surface with a rolling pin into a thin sheet.
Cut into rounds (with knife or cookie cutter) and fit them into greased muffin tins.
Procedure for Filling:
Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Fill the pastry bases half full, and pinch the dough together at the top.
Bake for 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Source: jamaica.com/cooking/cakes