Licence renewals possible before one's birthday
As an informative series of articles advising the public on the procedures required for doing motor vehicle transactions with the tax office comes close to its end, Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ) shares some important tips with motor vehicle owners and driver's licence holders.
1. Motorists can renew their driver's licence 30 days ahead of its expiration without reducing the validity period for the licence. This means you don't need to be at the tax office on your birthday.
2. Similarly, the Motor Vehicle Registration Certificate can be renewed at any time within the month it expires, without reducing the registration period.
3. Tax Administration Jamaica offers a free tax reminder service called TAXREM. After a one-time registration, motor vehicle owners will be reminded about the expiration date for their driver's licence, Motor Vehicle Registration Certificate and Certificate of Fitness at least 10 days before. This will enable motorists to have these documents renewed on time and avoid prosecution. This service can be accessed by visiting any of our offices islandwide, on our website www.jamaicatax.gov.jm or by calling the Customer Care Centre at 1-888-TAX-HELP (1-888-829-4357).
4. Where modifications have been done to a motor vehicle, it must be noted by the Island Traffic Authority on the Certificate of Fitness. Once this is done, the motor vehicle's owner should visit any TAJ office and complete an application for Motor Vehicle Transaction Form (MVO1). They must present their valid ID, the motor vehicle's title, Certificate of Fitness and registration to update the Motor Vehicle System and endorse the changes on the title.
Associated costs are:
i. $750 for replacement of the Motor Vehicle Registration Certificate, once it has not expired
ii. Certificate of Fitness Fee - $ 3,750 for private plates
iii. Certificate of Fitness Fee - $ 3,750 for PPV & CC plates
5. Damaged or defaced plates can be replaced at any TAJ office. Detach both plates from the motor vehicle and take them to the tax office, along with the motor vehicle's documents, completed application for Motor Vehicle Transaction Form (MVO1) (available at the office) and valid ID. This service costs $3,750.00.
6. To replace a lost driver's licence, the licence holder should visit the tax office with one recent passport-sized picture and complete the application for Substitute Driver's Licence and the Driver's Licence Application Form (F7). The TAJ will make the necessary checks with other agencies and inform the licence holder when to return to complete the transaction and collect the licence. It costs $3,450 for a substitute driver's licence.
7. Fraudulent motor vehicle transactions and forged motor vehicle documents are becoming increasingly common. The public is being asked to be vigilant when conducting such transactions, as many times they are unsuspecting recipients of forged documentation.
Extra precaution should be taken, as failure to do your due diligence may result in criminal prosecution. Ensure business is conducted with only authorised government agencies and reputable individuals.
For more information, persons may contact the Tax Administration Jamaica Customer Care Centre at 1-888-TAX-HELP (829-4357), or visit the website www.jamaicatax.gov.jm.